We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Lion: Predator Animal Example
Predation and predatory animals (which are)
Predation, also known as predatism, is an ecological relationship in which an animal (predator) hunts, kills and feeds on another animal (prey) of a different species. Most predatory animals are carnivorous (meat-eating) or omnivorous (meat-eating). Predation is a relationship of great importance for maintaining ecological balance and is part of the natural selection system.
Main characteristics of predatory animals:
- Predator animals are usually larger and stronger than their prey.
- Most predators have physical characteristics adapted for hunting such as claws, large, sharp and strong teeth and favorable musculature for chasing and capturing prey.
- Some predators have the capability of producing toxins (poisons) to immobilize and kill prey. This is the case of spiders, snakes and scorpions.
Examples of predatory animal species:
- Tarantula Spider
- Komodo dragon
- Brown bear
- Polar Bear
- Wild dog
- Bush dog
- Guara wolf
- Red fox
- Leopard cat
- Peregrine Falcon
- Snakes (rattlesnake, coral snake, black mamba, cobra, jararaca, among others).
- Most terrestrial predators are felines, canids and snakes.