Virology: Science that studies viruses
What is it - biological definition
Virology is a science, a branch of microbiology, that studies viruses and their properties.
The main themes and properties of viruses studied by virology are:
- Capacity and forms of replication of viruses (how they multiply within an organism)
- virus structures and their classifications;
- diseases caused by viruses;
- Forms of immunization against viruses (viral immunology)
- Viral therapies and vaccines;
- viral infection control systems;
- Epidemics and pandemics caused by viruses;
- Diagnostic methods and systems for the presence of viruses in organisms;
- Antiviral chemotherapy.